NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal reducers

Using the excellent link provided by terrym2002uk (

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm) it looks like even a 0.33x focal reducer would still not bring M31 entirely into the FOV for a Meade DSI II on my 150PL.

Is it possible to use multiple focal reducers (0.5x piggy backed with 0.5x = 0.25x etc), or am I grasping at straws and trying to get something my 150PL simply won't be able to capture?

It's a big object! Huge. And in a CCD camera it gets bigger because you pick up all the faint stuff. M33 is a lot more manageable...

Olly

Thanks Olly,

I'll maybe try that.

It's just such a gorgeous image................. I had hoped that it was within the capabilities of my set-up.

Also want to try to get a big, bright object for a first imaging attempt. Don't expect the quality of the images I've seen you produce, just something that I can say "I took that image".

Perhaps you can suggest a suitable target for a first imaging attempt from 53 degrees ??

Looks like I'm going to need another scope sooner than I had hoped.

Archived