Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another scope vs query, sorry.

Ok, c9.25 on cg5 mount, c11 on cg5 mount or c9.25 on cgem mount. Want something for long term which will serve me for astrophotography and maybe, MAYBE will be taken to a star party one day.

Price wise these three are close-ish.

Btw. Am i the only one who has not seen a clear night sky for over a month and a half? (in hertfordshire uk)

Thanks

Well I'd say you absolutely must go for mount above all else. I'd say that if you were talking about imaging with a short FL refractor, let alone a monster SCT FL.

You are dead set on imaging at this kind of focal length? You know the issues?

A long FL SCT on a CG5 is a total no-hoper for DS imaging in my book. Not a chance. Webcamming the solar system, maybe yes, but certainly not deep sky.

Olly

Hi Praetorias,

I own a CG5, and if you are dead set on astrophotography get the CGEM. I love my CG5, but it does not support the weight and is a step below the CGEM in terms of quality and precision. Dont forget all the extra stuff (guidescope, counterweights, camera) you will need to put on the mount besides the scope.

Those big SCTs have a slow focal ratio, good for planets but will require very long exposures for the faint stuff. Maybe a focal reducer will help if you decide on an SCT.

Ok, c9.25 on cg5 mount, c11 on cg5 mount or c9.25 on cgem mount. Want something for long term which will serve me for astrophotography and maybe, MAYBE will be taken to a star party one day.

Price wise these three are close-ish.

Btw. Am i the only one who has not seen a clear night sky for over a month and a half? (in hertfordshire uk)

Thanks

If you photography ambitions extend to widefield targets - such as galaxies you will need 2 scopes - remember there are only a hanful of planets you can photograph - there are alot more galaxies, nebulae etc.

With your budget I think the best options would be the C9.25 on a skywatcher EQ6 mount, with a Skywatcher ED 80 pro refractor for non planetary imaging - the best prices I have seen (FLO are good) bring this in at £2300 - the same as a C9.25 on a CGEM. All this kit is well proven and used by members here. Best of luck.

Archived