NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C80ED focuser took a punt and it worked

hi all

not being that happy with the focuser that was attached to my c80ed i wanted to upgrade it which thanks to celestron's design isnt that straight forward and having read various threads it seemed that i was limited to 3 choices with one of them being a £300+ moonlite. the one wanted was a baader steeltrack but it didnt seem to be an option because of the flange size. and having spoken to agena astro (who make the adapter needed to fit new focusers on a c80ed) about trying to fit it i was told it couldnt be done

however i spotted an adapter listed on the teleskop express website which gave me hope and a quick chat with helmut at TS express who thought it might work i took a punt on a S/H steeltrack focuser and being able to fit it to my c80ed and im please to say that it fits like a glove and i couldn't be more happy. the steeltrack really is a lovely piece of kit and its just so smooth

i dont think ive read about anyone else upgrading to this focuser with this scope if im the first then i hope others will follow because its definitley a significant upgrade on the stock focuser

heres a list of the bits needed

Baader 2' STEELTRACK Crayford Auszug für Refraktoren

Adapter für den 2' Steeltrack Refraktor Auszug - auf 90mm

Agena AstroProducts Crayford Focuser Adapter for Celestron C80ED Refractor

a few pics for you

post-24512-133877633632_thumb.jpg

post-24512-133877633639_thumb.jpg

post-24512-133877633646_thumb.jpg

post-24512-133877633653_thumb.jpg

post-24512-133877633661_thumb.jpg

That looks the business Jake. Just a small word of warning to anyone else wishing to upgrade their focuser on a C80ED. I decided to get a Moonlite as I'm extremely happy with one I already have. When it arrived, the thread on the flange did not match the thread on my C80ED :). It seems that there are two possible threads on a C80ED. Mine has a pitch of 1.6mm whereas the flange has a thread of 1.0mm:(. Fortunately Moonlite are now making me one that will fit.:)

So, it is worth measuring the thread and checking that the supplied focuser or adapter will fit, whatever the make.

Dave

That looks the business Jake. Just a small word of warning to anyone else wishing to upgrade their focuser on a C80ED. I decided to get a Moonlite as I'm extremely happy with one I already have. When it arrived, the thread on the flange did not match the thread on my C80ED :). It seems that there are two possible threads on a C80ED. Mine has a pitch of 1.6mm whereas the flange has a thread of 1.0mm:(. Fortunately Moonlite are now making me one that will fit.:)

So, it is worth measuring the thread and checking that the supplied focuser or adapter will fit, whatever the make.

Dave

Yes it does seem that there is an issue with the thread there is a disclaimer on the agena astro website because of that

good point to make Dave

Jake

I also have the Baader steeltrack focuser as an upgrade on my Ikharus refractor, and I can similarly vouch for the superb quality and feel of this focuser. Very smooth, precise, can hang lots of astro-imaging kit on it with no slippage, and loads of back-focus room if needed.

Archived