Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My 'Solar System Family Portrait' Project, Part 1

Hi, I thought I might as well put up my first pics of the planets that I've taken so far. I got my Skywatcher Explorer 150P from Opticstar, Sale in December, and after a fortnight of getting a mount head replacement (http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/123111-latitude-bolts-not-working.html) I managed to get up and running, with my first target being Jupiter. I immediately realised it was begging to be imaged so I got out my little trusty point and shoot camera and started snapping. After my frankly rubbish first pic was mentioned in PoW I got loads of helpful advice on things like AVIs and Registax.

Within a couple of days I had seen my first three planets, several DSOs, and not even looked at the moon!

Since January of this year, my planetary and cluster imaging 'set up' has consisted soley of my Casio EXZ850 compact camera, its tripod and my telescope, imaging afocally. I must say it has worked much better than I ever expected. Anyway, I soon decided it would be nice to make my own representation of our orbital relations, with the sizes accurate, so I went on GIMP and accurately scaled my images accordingly, using a template off Google Images. I haven't yet seen Mars, Uranus or Neptune, but I hope to add the latter two by the end of August or mid-September! After that massive ramble, here is the image:

virtualpilot45-albums-photos-picture12313-my-current-map-our-solar-system.jpg

Thanks for reading (and viewing!)

Archived