NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik filter wheel/filter problem

I have an atik electric filter wheel (old style) controled through a seletek controller inside which I have the cheap Baader RGB imaging filters. In general this setup works really well however occasionally I get a filter wheel error which will wreck an imaging run. I need to do some checks however i suspect it is the common problem of the thickness of the Baader filters. I'm toying with filing them down however I do fancy a better set. What filters would you recommend? The more expensive Baader ones look good however do they also have the thickness problem?

I do fancy a new filter wheel (sx or brightstar) but don't really have the money for one and a set of filters. If I did get a new wheel what should I get?

Cheers

Rob

I take the fairly renegade view that manual wheels have a lot going for them. You are not the first person on here to report the odd lost session due to electric wheel issues. I have lost two myself, hence my luddite view of the matter! If I never ever changed my setups around I might fell differently but in my line of work I don't see that happening.

The up market Baader filters are excellent and do not bind in my Mk1 Atik electric wheel. The issues were random loss of USB recognition for me.

Olly

If you want a really cheap fix, you can buy replacement (low profile) filter holders on Ebay that will allow your old Baaders to fit comfortably. You may even be able to persuade Tru-Tek to sell you some of their replacement holders.

Archived