NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging basics

banner001

Hey guys, so im looking at getting a basic imaging setup to go with my dob. Cant be nothing too expensive, and remember i dont have a GEQ mount yet...so from what i understand i need to get a webcam (i.e. fps) as opposed to a DSLR (long single frame exposures)?

So i have a couple of questions, at the basic level i am coming in at is there anypoint in getting a mono camera, plus filter wheel plus filters...or is a colour camera going to be fine?

I will be wanting to take a variety of images, solar, lunar, planets, nebulae and DSO's...in fact thats about everything, so looking for something that is pretty versitile, was thinking betwen these two:-

First Light Optics - DFK 21AU04.AS Colour

though i might be able to stretch to a slightly larger CCD if it will be a good improvement...?

The IR-cut filter...the mono cameras dont have them...the colour ones seem too...why?

If dob's need webcam-type CCD's, what is the minimum fps needed to capture sharp images? obviously if it does 1fps i will get some startrails, so there must be a minimum fps?

And lastly i am finding it hard to calculate what magnification and aFOV a camera like i listed above would give me? i would need this to work out what range of powermates to get...

Thanks in advance, also if there is anything else that you would recommend (short of a C11 on a NEQ6 :)) then fire away ;)

Why not "learn the trade" with a Phillips SPC900 (The whole kit, flashed to 900 spec, filters and nosepiece) from Morgan Computers? (usual disclaimer). You can get good lunar captures as well as the planets. With a Dob and no tracking you will be limited to these targets.

Use Sharpcap to control the camera (freeware) and you will need a laptop or netbook (nothing fancy).

Don't worry too much about fov - but if you want to see what can be done load "ccdcalc" again freeware, just enter your scope and camera details and it gives you an on-screen picture of the object and a fov rectangle.

As someone who dived into the deepend on just about everything in the last 3 months. My advice would be keep it simple (cheap/inexpensive)!

But the most popular webcam used on here aka the SPC880 (flashed) and see where that takes you. I hear Morgans do a bundle offer for around £40 although seems to a bit of a delay, I was lucky to find a genuine astronomer on ebay and bought a SPC880 flashed and LX modded for £90 which worked for me as i have no 'modding' skills and to be honest i'd rather someone else ruined a perfectly good webcam at their expense. Also its one the tidest LX Mods I've seen.

You can always progress to the DFK once you're comfortable with your setup.

Justin

Edit : Bizi is quicker at typing than me :-)

• 2 weeks later...

the spc880 arrived pre-flashed today. i have disabled the white light by cutting through the metal on that part of the circuitboard and i have fitted the 1.25" adaptor.

am using SharpCap first to do the captures, i have so far managed to take good shots of the pixels of my lcd monitor :BangHead: other than that it is cloudy here...i will borrow a laptop from work one day and start my foray into imaging proper ;)

Archived