Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ATIK OAG annoyance...

NickK

Ok, my OAG arrived today and I have already racked up two annoying things:

1. The M54 to 2" nose adaptor supplied is so tight that it's stuck inside the 2" adaptor. I've just put the two pieces in the freezer to attempt to cool the nose piece down.. there's tight tolerances and then there's someone thinking the only way to stop light is if the light can't physically fit the tolerance gap. (before anyone makes an observation.. I know - at this point I'm having a humour bypass)

2. The OAG is supplied with:

1x 2" to M54 nose piece

1x OAG with M54 thread

3x T-Thread (F42 IIRC) extender rings of various thicknesses for the guide cam (fits T-threaded cams no problem)

3x bolts to attach to a ATIK FW2.

This means if you have a camera and aren't using filter wheels - you will need a male-to-male M54 to T-thread.. which isn't supplied and is as rare as rocking horse poop.

Perhaps you can feel my annoyance..

I feel it Nick for sure. I recieved something today from a well established supplier and no information to go with it such as a driver. Useless without it but not as costly as your outlay granted.

Well it's not shifting.. so that's basically both the 2" extension and the M54 noise fubarred. They're sat at a slight angle. It seems that once the ATIK nose gets minutely out of alignment (easy as it's so tight it needs pressure) that it jams rock solid.

I've never been so livid about something in my life (not sure why I'm so annoyed at this lol). I think I'm going to step away from the keyboard and the ATIK equipment before I do something daft..

Having given up on separating I tried to push the two together.. but that's just made it worse.

I'm just glad I didn't try the ATIK nose in my Baader M84 to 2" adaptor... the 383 2" nose was tight enough!

Grr.. just wanted the damn thing to work.. a serious thumbs down for the ATIK OAG before I've got to actually try it out!

Yup, tried that too- basically the smooth bore nosepiece is too close (as is the extension) to 2".. Maybe the nose piece was tested in different temperature..

If the parts are anodised that could be part of the problem. Loose anodising 'dust' is more sticky than epoxy adhesive.

You can get the necessary M54-T from True Technology. When you assemble these bits for the first time use a minute dose of WD40 and work the threads a number of times. Then dab the threads to remove the excess oil. I do this routinely with anodised fine threads and have never had a problem.

Dennis

Archived