Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda Exposure

Hello SGL,

I recently imaged M31 with a 300sec exposure. I knew Andromeda was bright, but it is a bit overwhelming. I was wondering if shorter exposures are better for imaging this monster galaxy. The core of the galaxy took up most of my image. Thanks all:icon_salut:

I snapped it a few weeks ago through my 200mm lens at f3.2 and ISO800 with 120 second exposures and it came out pretty well. Just five subs showed up most of the galaxy quite nicely.

When I try it next I was going to aim for f4, ISO400 and about 5 or 6 min exposures.

Maybe try combining some longer exposures for the fainter areas and some shorter ones for the core?

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I found I could cover the dynamic range at F3.9 in five min subs with CCD. If you are struggling, step one is to try two stretches of the same data, one for the cores and one for the arms. Combine them in layers in PS.

If that doesn't work here is your answer; Compositing 2 Different Exposures via Layer Masks

Olly

Archived