250px primary mirror screws

I have a question in regards as too the primary mirror screws/locking bolts on the scope.

When i recieved the scope the adjustment screws were quite loose, and i acctualy found the locking nuts seem too move the red dot on the baader mkIII more than the adjustment screws? is this something i need to change by fully undoing the locking bolts and tightening the adjustment screws? when i undo the lock nuts to much the red dot goes completly of the chart so they seem to be supporting the mirror rather than the adjustment screws??

I have still been able to get perfect collimation but just wanted to check on this.

The collimation screws (large knurled knobs) tilt the mirror - so it they were turned when the locking screws (thin knurled screws) were undone it will have moved the red dot.

The collimation screws are spring loaded so if you tighten them right up you'll compress the spring and reduce ability to collimate properly. Once the collimation is set then you gently tighten the locking screws up to the mirror just enough to prevent mirror tilt.

I'm not quite sure why you're using the zoom lens in this process. Are you using a collimation tool at all?

OH JESUS CHRIST!! i have made a monumental mistake!! and got the adjustment screws/lock bolts confused!! must have been the excitment on the day of recieving the scope, im sure i read the manual properly and was even carefull to get that right:( please tell me i havent ruined the scope? should i bring it inside and losen them all? omg:(

Sorry i should have said, i ment the baader MKIII laser colli.

if i had ruined the springs (lets hope not yet) can they be replaced without removing the mirror or something drastic?

It might explain the funny startest pattern you saw the other day, rather than tube current from a warm scope? I would think it would be okay though. Gently re-tighten everything properly, re-collimate and check it again.

dont think you could of ruined the springs just by tightening the bolts. loosen off the thin locking screws. collimate again using the larger sprung screws. when the primary is aligned leave the larger screws and tighten the thinner ones but be carefull to only lightly tighten them or you could throw the mirror off again. once done check your collimation again to confirm

Phew!.. thats a relief!!

Iv acctualy been using the right screws to collimate, i was just unsure why what i thought what were the adjustment screws didnt seem to do much:o

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys, i have so much to learn. The phrase "all the gear-no idea" "springs" too mind..

Archived