Lasers and the Law

Hi All,

I bought a green laser pen whilst on hol last week and was wondering how you stand with using them and the law. This is a pretty strong laser and according to the leaflet that comes with it , it will give out a beam of up to 5km?

Kev.

Don't !

If it really does have a range of 5km then your targeting (street lamps by any chance?) would have to be very accurate.

Otherwise the law of unintended consequences (AKA Murphy's Law) may well take a hand.

You really don't want an innocent somewhere downrange, maybe another stargazer or even a pilot, getting an eyeful of that.

At the very best, it'd certainly spoil their night.

The risk(s) may well have quite a low probability, I honestly don't know.

But, are they worth taking at somebody else's expense ?

It certanly seems like no-one realy knows the answer to this but the obvious precaustions must be adheared to regarding aircraft and for that matter any vehicle.

Im thinking of getting a laser as a finderscope (have read reviews from ppl using them say that there make excellent finders) but with all the plonkers and chavs playing sillybuggers with em im not to sure, knowing my luck some jobsworth copper passing by will get all **** retentive on me. Anyone using a laser finder have any trouble?

with all the plonkers and chavs playing sillybuggers with em

Yeah once again the minority spoiling it for the majority

Would be nice to know if anything has happened with a genuine user.

Kev.

Hi folks,

I use green lasers routinely in my work when I'm out observing with students (weekly at least) for the last 7-8 years, and I've never had any trouble with the law. That said, I am always very conscious about where I aim them, I only use short bursts to show targets or outline constellations. I also DO NOT allow anyone other than myself to use it, in spite of many "Awww! Just let me have a go! Just once! Pleeeeease!" requests. :(

You MUST be aware of what aircraft are around in the sky, and I never aim the beam anywhere within 10 degrees of an aircraft. My rule of thumb is that if the plane is in the same constellation (or about to enter it), it is TOO CLOSE.

The other thing of course, is that I don't aim it anywhere below about 20 degrees - too easy to catch a reflection off something accidentally, and too easy to miss an aircraft low on the horizon. Long story short - I don't take any chances with it.

They do make excellent finders, mine has a special switch attachment that allows me to clamp it in the finder rings and still operate the beam in a momentary mode.

A little common sense goes a long way. :)

Dan

Im pretty much sold on the ease of use aspect of a green laser finder and price wise there a lot cheaper than a budget right angle finder (I found trying to use a straight through a spine grinding experiance) but im still not sure about "the batman signal" light up the heavens part! with a 1mw green laser what would someone across the road or park see? Are they very visable of axis?

Yes, a 1mw green laser is enough for a finder.

Of axis they are visible but that depends on how much dust, pollen and water vapour is in the air.

There is a lot of panic over lasers and aircraft etc. But consumer units have high beam divergance and low power so are very unlikely to blind a pilot, annoy yes, but blind no.

Most airfields in the UK have at least on high power laser pointing straight up causing no problems at all and have done for many years, used as LIDAR systems for cloud base measurement. Most work well up to about 40,000ft.

Bottom line: Don't be a tit :)

Cheers

Ian

I bought the Celestron Green Laser Finder (5mw) but it is not very reliable, the brightness changes with temperature. It is virtually useless on a cold night. The on/off switch on the back is difficult to operate needing a hefty press with a thumb. As a star pointer, it is okay on a warm night but I wouldn't want to mount it on my telescope as a finder - even though that is what it is designed for.

I use a less powerful one and find it a real bonus. I can't see any other road or dwelling from our observing sites and obviously avoid aircraft and visiting imagers' areas of work! You don't really need a bracket though you can use one if you like. You can just squirt the laser through the finderscope and that will send it in the right direction. I do this for quick rough alignment every night. It is a time and neck saver!

Olly

There is no specific law relating to the use of laser pens, however if you use one and it accidentily makes contact with an aircraft you can be liable to arrest. If you use it carefully to point at the stars then you are not committing any offences, its simple, when used sensibly they are perfectly legal but they are not to be abused as this can attract offences under the Public Order Act

Archived