How should I transport my NexStar 5SE

Hi, I just bought my first telescope and was wondering if there are decent cases or bags that i can buy to protect it when taking it in the car. Also, how much should I disassemble the telescope when transporting say, from my basement to the backyard? How much set up time should I expect even though it is portable? Right now I have just been carrying it through doorways (mount and all) with some difficulty but want to get information on a more efficient way of doing things.

The 5Se isn't that big and I would carry it in one bit, scope and tripod.

If you separate them them yes they are smaller, lighter and easier, however there is possible problem of getting the scope on the mount and tightened up by yourself. I would have said that this attaching of the scope to the mount is the time when there is most chance of something going wrong. Especially in the dark at night.

As to transport by car, not sure. The 5SE is on a single arm mount and I suspect that if laid down wrong that maybe something could happen.

I transport Meade's of a similar size, again in one piece, by simply lying them across the rear seat on a something well padded (old sleeping bag quite often). Meades however are on a dual fork and this adds some protection as the scope is more enclosed.

If your place of work has a stores where goods are received / shipped out, then a box filled with 'fluffies' (polystyrene blobs) gives great protection for the OTA when travelling by car. I asked our storeman and he kindly obliged.

As for the tripod, I would lie that on the back seat, or if you have passengers then put a nice thick folded blanket underneath the vunerable arm part.

Word of the day is 'cushioning'!

You'll still wince when you drive over the smallest of bumps :)

keep the ota attatched to the mount and put that into a box. The tripod is easy to attatch to the mount even in the dark. my mount is put in a box the tripod broken down and the whole thing carried in a backpack

Hi mfarr, when I had my 6se I used the foam inserts from the box it came in with a case I had made from off the web. They even came with a choice of colours so naturally I picked an orange one. I don't have a the link for them but I am sure if you search google for cases etc you might be able to find them, I remember they were based in London.

Only paid around £75.00 for it too. :)

Archived