Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sunday's Sun in White Light (First Attempt)

Stargazer Jack

Hi, I did my first observing and imaging session on Sunday and it was great. Firstly, I used VirtualDub to make the AVi a bit smaller because the sun was drifting across the screen and it was hard to stack it. I then used Registax 5.1 (6 stops half way through) to stack it with the smaller AVI and it was a lot better :(. I then used the wavelets to adjust some stuff and it looks good to me and i'm happy with it. You can see the 3 sunspots near the middle and then a large one at the top. One question, how do you make it orange in GIMP because that's what people said to do but i don't know what to do :). Any criticism welcome.

First Image of the Sun.bmp

Go to: Colours > Colour balance and then play with the sliders. You could also play with Colours > Hue and Saturation or Colours > Colourise - or any combination of those!

Have fun!!

Thanks, will have a play around tomorrow and then post the result if it goes well :)

Lovely image!

As regards colourising I have just done it too for the first time. I am not familiar with GIMP but it will be pretty similar to photoshop and there are lots of ways. The main thing will be the proportions. I had a play with one of mine in GIMP and here is what I did.

Open the image, go to colours/levels. Where it says "channel" click to get the drop down box, select RED and then slide the middle pointer under the histogram to the left so that the number in the box below changes from 1.00 to about 1.80. Green to 1.20 and blue you need to move the slider to the right to about 0.7. These will get you there or thereabouts. For your monochrome image you are basically (I think) boosting red by 80%, Green by 20% and reducing blue by 20-30%. From this point it is just tweaking these values. But the main thing here is that the above should get you to a reasonable looking colour, the rest is personal preference.

PS - need to make sure your image is RGB to start (Image/Mode/RGB). This wont make it colour but gives you three colour channels to play with.

Glad it helped but thinking about it a couple of things to consider.

1) Always make these changes to a copy of the original image, that way you still have the original shot just in case it goes pear shaped. I am probably pointing out the obvious here. If so humour me!

2) The will be lots of ways to do it. Levels gets a colour that is quite acceptable but for example "curves" gives you greater fine control. Hopefully someone will come along with a better method. Have a google too and see what other people do.

Glad it helped but thinking about it a couple of things to consider.

1) Always make these changes to a copy of the original image, that way you still have the original shot just in case it goes pear shaped. I am probably pointing out the obvious here. If so humour me!

2) The will be lots of ways to do it. Levels gets a colour that is quite acceptable but for example "curves" gives you greater fine control. Hopefully someone will come along with a better method. Have a google too and see what other people do.

Thanks and the advice for the first question is very good because I probably would of messed it up and lost it. I will have a go anyway when I end school (half day due to strikes :)) and will post it.

Well, managed to half a go before I go to school. Not as good as the colour one above but it's my first go. It might be something I did wrong in Registax but how to you get rid of the black at the top of the sun?

EDIT: It doesn't seem to let me upload the image I saved from GIMP. Anyone know what could be wrong?

The other thing to do is save it at a suitable file size. i think your original image that was linked was about 900kb. I am not sure that you can attach an image of that size. I just saved yours as a 100kb jpeg after I had played.

Well, managed to half a go before I go to school. Not as good as the colour one above but it's my first go. It might be something I did wrong in Registax but how do you get rid of the black at the top of the sun?

I changed the file to JPEG and it works now. As said above, not as good as the other but it's a first :)

post-23849-133877626087_thumb.jpg

Archived