NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to use to prevent Tripod legs sinking into grass

Hi all,

As I am due to attend my first starparty in Oct (Peak Star Party) I am curious to know what others use to prevent the legs of their tripod sinking into the grass?

Once I have polar aligned it, I plan to leave my mount and scope setup for the duration of the party.

In my case it is an NEQ6 mount / tripod. My initial thoughts are to get some squares of hardwood or marine ply 6" x 6" and drill holes in them to accept the pointed foot of the tripod.

So come on you seasoned star partiers, what do you do to prevent your tripod sinking into the grass.

Uplooker / Ian

I have never used a tripod at a star party but your suggestion sounds perfect; it's certainly what I'll be doing with my dob and / or equatorial platform. if you can get some thick rubber sheeting to glue on the top of the pads then you have made anti-vibration pads too for use at home!

see you there!

Hi Ian.

Your suggestion sounds good.

For the garden I have some ali chequer plates about 6" square. Ex-caravan leg plates. A complete overkill. But they cost me nothing and can be left lying around all year.

Another cheap and light alternative are the stand load spreaders for motorbikes. Simple bits of plastic tray, rather like cheap ashtrays. At around 50p a go you wouldn't get too upset if you lost on in a field.

David.

Archived