Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

bit of help needed with beginners widefield shots !

Hi all, im a bit puzzled! how can i get the star spikes that i see on other peoples images? do i need alot more data or longer exposures? or our these artifically put in when processing ?

i was origionally using GIMP however i have just purcashed photoshop, any help or comments would be grately appreciated.

cal

Hi Cal

The spikes appear because of light diffraction around the supports for your scope's secondary mirror. You've probably got four supports at 90 degrees to each other, so with longer exposure you'll see four spikes appear aroudn brighter stars.

Some people like them, and others don't - because they are a scope produced artifact rather than a natural stellar phenomenon.

If you really like them there are several programs that will add them for you such as Noel Carboni's actions and Starspikes Pro - personnally I'd save my money because I prefer images without them.

Steve

thank you for that, i always thought that it was the stars producing that effect ! lol still have so much to learn.. another question i have is the effect that flats have on images. what does this do? and how do i take a flat?

Archived