NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Location

As the weather has been slightly kinder to us in the last couple of days i was able to take my scope out for a spin for the first time ;)

However... I was limited by time so the sky never really got dark enough. The biggest problem i have however is i live on the north facing side of a hill and at the back of my garden is high trees so pretty much all of the southern facing sky is blocked! the furthest south object i reckonise is Arcturus

Im desperate to see saturn but this isnt going to happen at home. i cant even see the moon from my garden as its lying low at the moment.

Basicially what im trying to get at is i need to find another location but as its not dark untill after 12, it might be a bit dodgy taking my kit into some random field somewhere?

are there any others in a similar position, or can anyone give me some inspiration as to where they found a secluded spot?

Im in a similar position, needing a better observing site but concearned about who/what you might run into going into a field at midnight. I would say that where ever you go always try and go as a group and try and setup close to your car.

yeah, transporting it is going to be an issue too, not exactly got the biggest car and dont want to damage the scope. was thinking of asking a farmer if i could use his land, should be secure at night

You are not alone in this problem. Quite a few have solved it by negotiating individual access to land, and some by observing in groups.

My 'local' group is East Midlands Stargazers, you can find them in SGL. They have use of two sites and usually meet by email arrangement. Often at the last hour when the weather looks clear. Take a look at how EMS works. I'm there are other similar groups elsewhere.

There have been SGL discussions on this subject earlier this year, but I can't remember just now where and when exactly. If I find the links, I will let you know.

I do all my observing at a countryside dark site because my garden is too light polluted. But not at this time of year as the sky is too light. I always observe alone and have never had any bother from any creature, human or otherwise. The countryside is a very safe place. Our species has an inate fear of darkness and solitude. Astronomy is a perfect way of overcoming these irrational fears.

I live in a flat and don't have the benefit of a garden. Most of my observing is done in a carpark by the block of flats which has a restricted view from trees and adjacent buildings, though I do have a reasonable clear view to the West. I'm forever being disturbed by cars and headlights, so have to be on my toes to jump out of the way!. Occasionally, I'll go up the local park with binoculars, or if the girlfriend is willing, we'll lug one of the scopes up there. Otherwise, I rely on the odd visit to friends and family out of the city who have back gardens. Needless to say all my kit is grab'n'go! ;)

As the weather has been slightly kinder to us in the last couple of days i was able to take my scope out for a spin for the first time :D

However... I was limited by time so the sky never really got dark enough. The biggest problem i have however is i live on the north facing side of a hill and at the back of my garden is high trees so pretty much all of the southern facing sky is blocked! the furthest south object i reckonise is Arcturus

Im desperate to see saturn but this isnt going to happen at home. i cant even see the moon from my garden as its lying low at the moment.

Basicially what im trying to get at is i need to find another location but as its not dark untill after 12, it might be a bit dodgy taking my kit into some random field somewhere?

are there any others in a similar position, or can anyone give me some inspiration as to where they found a secluded spot?

I live in the centre of a city. Got a sodium streetlight 5 yards from me:mad: Nevertheless I can still get good views of planets, double stars and open clusters. With an extra long home-made dewshield I can see alot of DSOs and with a UHC quite a few nebulas.:)

My real treat is going to dark sites. I identified potentials using Google Earth (which also gives GPS coordinates) and checked them out at night. Got 2 good ones within 15-20 minute drive. It makes a huge difference.:hello2:

The best Nebula Filter is a 20 minute drive!

I'm in Cambridge near a main road but we back out onto a common so it's a bit darker behind us.

Going to Bath in a few weekend's time for a family birthday and staying with in-laws. They live on a hill a few miles out of the city. Should be pretty dark I reckon :-)

Can't wait. Since I got my 'scope a few weeks ago I've had it out once and was blown away. Since then I've got some eps and a 2x barlow.

Yep I had same problem during my time in UK. I joined a local club in the hope to go observing in a group, but turnout was never good so I ended up on my own, loading the car, driving out, setup, then maybe an hour of actually using the scopes, before dismantling and driving home again. My experience is that wherever you are in the countryside, you will get some teenagers turning up in their cars either to practice handbrake turns or sit there shining their headlights at you, or on more than one occasion getting a visit from the police.

Hopefully you can negotiate some private/exclusive access to someone's land so the public won't bother you.

My experience is that wherever you are in the countryside, you will get some teenagers turning up in their cars

Mine too.

However I do often wonder who looks more suspicious - the teenagers sitting in their steamed -up cars, or me coming out of the darkness carrying a load of astronomy gear.

Archived