Baarder Hyperion zoom 8-24mm MkIII

I bought this eyepiece for the wife...& in her SW 200 it gives superb views across the range of zoom... but as said...it probably does need a small tweak each time...however, I must admit to being a 'tweaker' I tend to shift focus on everything..just to be sure I have the best view. You wont be disappointed with this eyepiece

Yes I agree it is a very good eyepiece for the money.

Worth bearing in mind that it really is a 20mm-8mm zoom as the 24mm setting just reduces the field of view to achieve the lower power.

Between 8mm-20mm the FOV is approx 68 degrees reducing rapidly to 50 degrees between 20mm and 24mm.

I use mine all the time when I dont want to take my more expensive eyepieces with me.

Size wise it is quite large though. Here is a picture for comparison. As big as a 2 inch EP

Cheers

I see the increments that it goes up in are 8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm and 24mm. Is it possible to stop half way between each increment (eg equvilant of 10mm) and should it still hold its focus? or can you only click round to each fixed fl?

odd! according to your sigs you both have the MkIII
;)

I never actually look at the focal length setting I just turn it until the correct FOV is acquired. focal lengths between clickstops are definitely selectable and you can focus no problem.

I quote:

Continuously variable focal length, with click-stops at 8, 12, 16, 20, 24mm. Remains approximately parfocal across zoom range. Click-stops enable precise focal length matching for bino-viewer use.

http://www.alpineastro.com/Eyepieces_Accessories/Eyepieces_Accessories.htm#Zoom

Baader Zoom Mk III..I can confirm that you can infinitely vary the magnification at any point between minimum and maximum..you just won't know exactly what mag you are at between the click stops, but if you really need to have an idea you can estimate the position (with a red torch!) between each stop..

A cracking ep and I regret selling mine! If anyone has one for sale...pm me

Dave

Archived