Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sussex coast observing sites

Hi all just a quick question for anyone in the sussex area. Myself and a group of beginner astronomers are trying to find a nice site on the sussex coast that is away from street lights (and people sitting in cars doing god knows what!). We have been looking at the south downs and areas around ferring and goring beach. Does anyone know of or can they reccomend a site? There are loads of potential sites but its hard to know what its like until you try it......Just trying to save on wasted journeys

Thanks

Is that the top of the Bostal road (over to Steyning)?

There are a couple of us at the top of Sompting, backing onto the downs, but we've only used the back garden so far - Maybe once the field is harvested we will go up to the top of the hill to get out of the streetlight area.

Astronomy in Worthing - Worthing Astronomers also get together in the area sometimes.

No it's down a lane called Bo Peep Lane off the A27 heading east.

A27 turn first right after the Barley Mow pub. Google 'Bo Peep Lane Sussex' and one of the first hits will be a link to google maps. postcode BN26 6UH

No streetlamps for about at least 2/3rds of a mile, very high 360° view from the car park.

Is that the top of the Bostal road (over to Steyning)?

There are a couple of us at the top of Sompting, backing onto the downs, but we've only used the back garden so far - Maybe once the field is harvested we will go up to the top of the hill to get out of the streetlight area.

Astronomy in Worthing - Worthing Astronomers also get together in the area sometimes.

Hi Adrian. looks like im just south of you. i live in the dankton lane area of sompting and have recently joined the WA. have also started a facebook group linked to WA (link to which is on the WA website) if your a facebooker feel free to look up the group worthing skywatchers. we have toyed with the idea of the fields at the back of sompting but not sure how close we can get witha car. Want to stay well clear of the old tip site!! if you would like to try it and would like additional numbers anytime then i could get a few bods up there as well.

not heard of bo peeps but will give it a look cheers

• 4 months later...

Have you found anywhere good? I live in Worthing, and don't have a lot of time for observing, so when I do it's usually from my garden, but the couple of times I've dragged gear in the car, I've headed for the Chanctonbury/Wiston area. Its a bit far though, so would be interested in any nearer good sites. I've also just applied to join your facebook group :)

Hi there, you have been accepted into the group, welcome and yes thanks to the Worthing Astronomers (who also are worth joining, see my sig for the link) we have been using nepcote green in Findon which is fantastic and also Goring gap which is great also especially when looking south across the sea!! Look forward to perhaps meeting you at a WA observing session!

Archived