Polar allignment scope.

Yet another question for you to answer for me if you would be so kind.

Having just discovered I can focus the polar allign scope ( I know thick or what ?)

Anyway now I have got it to focus I notice a type of target is now in view.

There are cross hairs and a circle.

Now for my question,;) on the edge of the target circle there is a small circle.:D

What is this small circle for ????

thanks all for any replies.

It's where you put polaris. Polaris is actually slightly off axis so describes a very small circle in the sky - same as the one seen through the polar scope. So you line up the constellations by turning the RA axis, then adjust the mount till polaris is in the small circle. Then you're set ;)

Thanks for that but as the scope is not fixed in the mount what is its exact orientation. By which I mean if the cross hairs are vertical and horizontal does this small circle go at 12 oclock, 3 oclock, 6 oclock or 9 oclock given 12 oclock is at the top.

I should have mentioned the small circle is split evenly by the large circle and one of the cross hairs.

I hope this make sense.

Thank you

The polar scope should be fixed in the mount along it's central axis. Then when you align the plough and cassiopiea by turning the RA, all you have to do is tweak alt and az screws to get polaris in the small circle (which is on the circumference of the big circle). At least that's how I understand it ;)

Are you doing long exposure photography?

Archived