NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AR11236 - Light Bridge, Dark Filament

markt

There seems to be some discussion as to exactly what the 'Light Bridges' are that divide large sunspots such as the one that dominates AR11236 Spaceweather.com Time Machine However, from my perspective, looking at this picture, in this instance, it is quite clear that a 'Light Bridge' is just a filament that sits over the top of a sunspot. It appears light against the black of the sunspot core, however either side it can be seen to extend as a dark filament hovvering above the brighter solar disk.

5849014045_5affe1e2c3_o.jpg

AR11236 Light Bridge, Dark Filament by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Sadly today was dominated by cloud and only intermittent gaps, as such this is the only capture of note that I managed. Visually the sun was very impressive with plenty of prominences all around the limb. The filaments showed quite a bit of subtle change as the day went on.

Hopefully the 'British Summer' will improve from the cloud and rain of late and I will be able to get somemore views in soon!

Mark smile.gif

Nice, I have pretty much the same story. Loads of cloud and I was just able to get a picture like that (though I have that region further over to the left). The event makes up for the otherwise bad day for solar imaging.

Archived