NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alternatives to PHD Guiding?

Hi all,

I would like to use my ancient Starlight Xpress MX716 CCD for autoguiding to replace my webcam. Obviously it's very much more sensitive than the webcam.

Unfortunately PHD Guiding, which I currently use and like, doesn't support the old MX716. I have AstroArt 3, which can be used to guide but I haven't got to grips with its guiding capabilities yet. Does anyone else guide with AstroArt3, is it as good (or better than) PHD, and any are there any other (free) guiding programs which will support my old CCD?

My budget is zero. Diddley-squat. Nada! If I can't get it to work then I'll just continue guiding with the webcam.

Hi all,

I would like to use my ancient Starlight Xpress MX716 CCD for autoguiding to replace my webcam. Obviously it's very much more sensitive than the webcam.

Unfortunately PHD Guiding, which I currently use and like, doesn't support the old MX716. I have AstroArt 3, which can be used to guide but I haven't got to grips with its guiding capabilities yet. Does anyone else guide with AstroArt3, is it as good (or better than) PHD, and any are there any other (free) guiding programs which will support my old CCD?

My budget is zero. Diddley-squat. Nada! If I can't get it to work then I'll just continue guiding with the webcam.

I guide with AA 4.0 which I think is similar.

It has some primitive aspects, like needing the camera to be aligned close to RA and Dec and not knowing its ups from its downs and its rights from its lefts. It may just get them the wrong way round so you click to invert after watching what it does. Not a big deal. You control aggessivity by altering the telescope speed parameter, telling the software that the mount responds more slowly or more quickly than it really does. I've used it for ages and find it works.

Olly

I guide with AA 4.0 which I think is similar.

It has some primitive aspects, like needing the camera to be aligned close to RA and Dec and not knowing its ups from its downs and its rights from its lefts. It may just get them the wrong way round so you click to invert after watching what it does. Not a big deal. You control aggessivity by altering the telescope speed parameter, telling the software that the mount responds more slowly or more quickly than it really does. I've used it for ages and find it works.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I'll try and persevere with Astro Art, given that it's the only bit of guiding software which will support my MX716. I'm OK with my webcam guiding with PHD, but it can be a bit of a pain fiddling with the guide rings to find a suitably bright star. I would be nice to have a guide star always in the field of view! And it'll mean I can keep the guidescope nice and tight to reduce differential flexure.

Sell the MX7 to finance a new guide camera??
That's a thought, but it's a bit beaten up from my attempts to unscrew the overtightened nosepiece using mole grips! It's all cosmetic, though, and it works fine.

Archived