Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

99942 Apophis

jmurray01

I am watching Dante's Peak at the moment, which is about an erupting volcano, and it got me thinking about disasters!

Which then reminded me of Apophis...

I know it is very unlikely that it will be a disaster, but that isn't my point.

My point is, would it be possible to view with a telescope (or even naked eye) when it passes earth in 2029 ? Or even 2036, I'm not picky :)

Apparently Apophis' predicted position might grow to between 520,000 and 30 million km..! So not sure, although it is thought the path will be over southern Russia, across the north Pacific Ocean, right between Nicaragua and Costa Rica, crossing northern Colombia and Venezuela and over the Caribbean islands of Trinidad and Tobago then over the Atlantic Ocean to the west coast of Africa...

For the April 13, 2029 flyby, it will be magnitude 3.5, easily visible for the naked eye!

incidentally i will be celebrating my 46th birthday on that day (friday) :) where i will also be visible to the naked eye due to all the booze :)

incidentally i will be celebrating my 46th birthday on that day (friday) :eek: where i will also be visible to the naked eye due to all the booze :)
Oh sweet Jesus! I've just noticed... Friday the 13th!! :)

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear-" SMASH! B)

Archived