Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion XT10G

Hi all

I ve been dabbling for a year or so now - mainly with a 'toy' telescope and bins and i think im ready to take the plunge and spend some real cash now.

Ive been looking readily at the Orion XT10G as it seems to offer a lot of the features im after such as wide aperture, goto capabilites and options to easier start wetting my feet with astrophotography in the future....

Saw a review in Sky@Night mag a while ago and it seemed like a great buy....

However - doesnt seem to be readily available in the UK? Is there a reason for this or is it just down to poor distribution? Or are my googling skills below par? Would it be worth shipping it from the states?

If there is any similar product that you think fits the bill - please suggest any to me - im open to all ideas - want to make sure this first scope is the first of many, but the right one for now!

criteria are :

(around the) £1000 mark

10" ish ap

GOTO with tracking

not too fussed about portability - but nothing completely unweildy!

Thanks Telrad.

Yes, the XT10 i was looking at - i think the one that you've linked there is the 'i' version - the only difference i can see between the two (price aside) is the motorised mount - which is obviously going to be essential for imaging. Sounds like im on the right lines anyway - thanks for your words!

Usually SCSastro have all the Orion(USA) range maybe it's a stocking issue, anyway the reason not many are sold in the UK is because despite Orion(USA) and Skywatcher having the same parent company (Synta), Skywatcher products are quite a bit cheaper in the UK. If I were you I'd just get the Skywatcher Skyliner 250px flextube GOTO (what a mouth full) it's will do everything the XT10g will do and will cost less the only difference is that it is not a solid tube.

I own an XT10i and it is a really good scope, I bought it because you can use the computerised object locator to find things in the night sky but you don't have tracking and can easily use the scope manually. From a good dark location a 10" Dob will show you some amazing sights.

You've managed perfectly well so far without tracking, I presume, why not get a 10" solid tube Skywatcher Skyliner? They are only £445.

That looks great, thanks - nice to hear from someone who has the 'i' version.

What are the advantages of the tracking system? - whats to say i shouldnt just regroup the GOTO on my target after every image?

Will the target have moved significantly over 60 seconds etc?

I you want to image then you need tracking. At medium to high power it is amazing how fast the target e.g Saturn moves across the field of view. I am no imager, visual only for me but you need to find out whether the GOTO system on the Dob is suitable for what you want to photograph. Long exposure photography will require mounting the OTA on a German equatorial mount, such as a Skywatcher EQ6.

Thanks Telrad.

Yes, the XT10 i was looking at - i think the one that you've linked there is the 'i' version - the only difference i can see between the two (price aside) is the motorised mount - which is obviously going to be essential for imaging. Sounds like im on the right lines anyway - thanks for your words!

You're welcome, :)

I recommend that you contact them and ascertain if they have the scope in stock. I have seen the xt10i, and think it's very good. It's 'push-to', which has an advantage. Orion make brilliant scopes too! Good luck! All the best! :)

Fantastic! thanks for all the help - Im in London this weekend, I shall pay the widescreen centre a visit....always nice to get the advice with product in front of you after all.

Nice one manofscience!! :)

I hope you get it. ;)

if you do, give us a first light report! :)

Archived