Canon DSLR 400D Link To Scope?

Hey,

I've been looking at the Skywatcher Explorer 200p EQ5 & Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian and was wondering if there's a connector lens to fit a Canon 400D into it to get good pics?

My mate has the camera so I was going to borrow it if it can be connected to either scope.

Thanks

If you are going to use your D400 I would suggest the 200P on an EQ5 mount as this can be driven to track the objects giving you longer exposures.. it will also eliminate object rotation that you get with alt / azi mounts such as a dobsonian.

The 400D works well with APT software and a serial shutter cable (diy designs can be found on the net ) - my first attempt at M51 from a light polluted Stevenage using my 400D and 200P :)

M51.png

Using a T thread nosepiece and a T2 camera adaptor on the camera body will get you started.

Sometimes there's not enough distance between the focuser and the camera to bring the camera body into focus. You need to check.

You'll be able to image the moon and the planets without a drive.

Using a T thread nosepiece and a T2 camera adaptor on the camera body

This scope has "direct dslr connection", so the t thread connects direct to the focuser once you remove the 1.25" part of the focus attachment without the need for a nosepiece.

I have used this with my 300p (same focuser) and it works really well.

This scope has "direct dslr connection", so the t thread connects direct to the focuser once you remove the 1.25" part of the focus attachment without the need for a nosepiece.

I have used this with my 300p (same focuser) and it works really well.

correct, but you still need a T ring to suit the camera

correct, but you still need a T ring to suit the camera

Apologies, in attempting to be helpful, while attempting to work also I have not made myself very clear.

Yes, of course to have a T-thread you will of course have to have a T-Ring with it on. This fits to the camera on one side and the focuser on the other.

For completeness and to remove ambiguity:

The camera body attachment uses a T2 adaptor. This has the camera fitting on one side and an insert on the other. The insert in this case has a female T thread.

Archived