Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

vixen ED81S

andrew63

Looking for some information from vixen fans about the above telescope.

Is this one of the made in Japan types, and if so how would it compare optically to chinese EDs. Are the optics of a higher order and does anyone have any experience with this range?

thanks, andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I just took a punt and bought the ex-demo one from Telescope Outlet.. I will have it Friday :)

I wasn't going to buy anymore telescopes but I have the HEQ5-Pro doing nothing so might as well have something to put on it :(

Just got a call should have it tomorrow :)

And if I order the Focal reducer and adaptor tomorrow I should have it Friday :)

Peter...

For £489+£10 P&P with warranty I couldn't go wrong really... Especailly when its listed at £1,142.60 at Greenwitch...

I will order the dedicated 0.67X reducer and Canon EOS adaptor tomorrow ready for the weekend... If getting a "new" scope doesn't get me back out then nothing will ...

Plan is to use it in Side by Side Config with the ST-80 as a guidescope on the HEQ5-Pro...

so appologies in advance for the bad weather...

Peter...

Hi Andrew,

if got both scopes of VIXEN, the ED80Sf and the ED81S, and I must say the ED81S is the one to be used as reference. Forget about all others with that diameter, the ED81S is defenetly the most sophisticated optic I've ever seen. Truly made in Japan and completly different set up of mechanics compared to the ED80Sf made in China. Do yourself the flavour and make decision for the ED81S, you'll clearly see the difference.

If you have a look to the stars, there is no such thing like fringe. Planets are shown bright and clear full of contrast, your view will be limeted by seeing only. And the moon is superb! In range of 80 mm scope you'll find no better, this scope is truley amazing.

CS, Michael

Haven't had enough experience with it for a proper review yet... As I am primarily using it for imaging I have ordered the matching 0.67X focal Reducer and the Adaptor to connected it to the Canon EOS DSLR's that I use...

Steppenwolf kindly ran a test shot through CCD inspector for me and I think he was fairly impressed with them :)

Here's a link across to that thread...

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/147419-vixen-ed81s-dslr-flats-f7-7-a.html

The Lens spacers to protrude out well into the optical path and aren't Masked so they do produce diffraction spikes and shadows on the brightest stars...

I modified a length of dovetail to piggy back my ST80 on it today so that freed up my Dual Mount Bar which I normally have setup for other things...

Peter...

Visually I have only use it terrestrially and was blown away by the high contrast views...

• 1 year later...

Like my other recent astro purchases they have hardly been used... The obs has been empty since last JanuaryThe reducer did a very nice job but on my ED81S tge lens spacers protrude into the optical path givin rise to a diffraction pattern on the brighter stars :(

Sent from my P-7300 but still can't type

Like my other recent astro purchases they have hardly been used... The obs has been empty since last JanuaryThe reducer did a very nice job but on my ED81S tge lens spacers protrude into the optical path givin rise to a diffraction pattern on the brighter stars :(

Sent from my P-7300 but still can't type

Do you think a small chipped CCD would be ok?

Archived