Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hubble palette for DSLR images?

I've just got this sneaking feeling that this is an extremely stupid question but I can't help myself - I've just got to ask.

Is there any way to take my stacked colour image which is of course RGB taken with my DSLR and process it using hubble palette colours? - Just something I'd like to experiment with.

The software I have available is DSS for stacking, Pixinsight and Adobe CS3 for processing (Also have Paint Shop Pro 7 but rarely use it now). Also have Gimp but not installed at the moment.

Please don't laugh to hard - I don;t want anyone getting hernias as a result of this thread:)

Wow - I've just seen the price of the EOS Clip filters for Ha, OIII and SII - at that price I think it's a bit pricey for just an experiment. To buy all three filters would be £551 and they wouldn't be of any use if I moved on to mono CCD imaging in the future.

I do like the idea of doing B/W images in the Ha though.

If you can take your RGB image un-processed and split it into three channels you can 'mix-up' the channels to make the basis of a Hubble palette. You will not have S2 which is a deep red (mapped to red) and you will not have much Ha either (mapped to green). Photoshop is your best bet to do this but don't hold out too much hope. The best thing to do with Gimp as you have PS is to throw it away.

Dennis

Thanks for that Dennis. I agree about gimp - that's why it's not installed. Yes I was experimenting the other night and took the finished image, split the RGB and re-allocated the colours which did arrive at something approaching a Hubble palette looking image - the rich Ha part of the nebula now being shown as green. Veyr pretty but not really a hubble palette image. Perhaps with further experimentation I might arrive at something a bit better.

For the moment budget confines me to working with my DSLR which I am really enjoying, but I suppose at some time in the future if budget allows, I will move on to CCD imaging using narrowband. I suppose I'll just have to be patient until then :). There's no doubt that the results are in a different league to DSLR images with the latest CCD cameras using narrowband.

If you re-map the colours or shoot with a CCD camera you will likely get a lot of Ha which will, of course, show up as green. In order to get over this you need to spend some time using Selective Colour in PS. The following might help.

To remove the usually strong green cast associated with S2HaO3 blending of colour to get the Hubble palette. Ha is usually the strongest so the picture will be strongly green.

Photoshop, Image Adjustments, Selective Colour;

Green +M 25%

-C 100%

Yellow -C 100% }

+M 25% } repeat

Cyan -Y 100%

-Y 100%

-M 25%

R and B channels may need boosting first.

Dennis

Archived