Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with an HD webcam

I'm in the market for a HD camcorder and was just wondering if anyone had tried imaging with one? Does anyone know any brand/model number that is particularly light sensitive or has good interactive features and controls when connected to a PC? Not interested in face recognition or other gimicks etc. but must be a capable camcorder as well.

Hi Terry,

You say webcam but then refer to a camcorder? I assume you mean a webcam as they are the most popular method of imaging with a scope. The Microsoft lifecam cinema HD webcam has been used for imaging but has mixed reviews. No.1 webcam is the philips spc800/900 but thats not HD.

oops, meant camcorder. I just thought if I'm going to buy a HD camcorder someone might have tried one for imaging or someone might know of a make or model that is particularly good in low light. It might just be an excuse for me to use it for two purposes, family vids and astronomy.

Unfortunately to do astro-photography you use the webcam (or whatever) with the lens removed. i.e. You focus the image directly onto the camera's sensor. I've not seen a camcorder used for Astro (doesn't mean it hasn't been done!) but I suspect folk don't want to wreck a perfectly good camera to try! The webcams Astro folk use are in the price range of up to about £30 or so - so pulling them apart is not so painful on the wallet if it goes wrong.

Archived