NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Book Review - The 4% Universe

I have just finished reading Richard Panek's "The 4% Universe - Dark Matter, Dark Energy and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality"

Before I go on I should point out that if astrophysics is not your cup of tea then this is not the book for you. If it is then read on.

Panek details the complex history behind the dicsovery of what makes up the universe. From the discovery of the Cosmic Microwave Background through the race to measure the red shift of SNe and the discovery of the acceleration of the Universe and what might be causing it.

The book reads almost like a soap-opera where you get to know the physicists and astronomers behind these discoveries as they race to be the first with a cogent thoery.

I found it to be a very enjoyable read which put a human face on what could be very dry subject matter. Plus its always good to see how thories change over time with new data.

Here is an Amazon link but I am sure its available in all good book shops (I bought it in Waterstones at Manchester Airport)

The 4-Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Panek: Books

Super, getting this and a few other bits for birthday soon. Really love reading physics,cosmology and quantum theory. Enjoyed " The elegant Universe".

Its amazing how quickly theories change with what is discovered on a practical level.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also in the first few chapters, and it is fascinating.

I really like the idea scientists confirming that it is possible that there are a lot of undetected matters around us!

The only flaw is that it is not available on the Kindle.

Archived