Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

pocket book with dso details

does anyone know if and/or where i can buy a small pocket size book which has locations of dso's shown, somethign to take with me each time im at the scope, so im able to check where they are when im out. possibly containing a list of details about said dso as well?

im not sure if ive explained properly what i mean but hopefully you can get the gist of what i meant

tom

Hi Tom,

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas is small (not pocket sized at 22.4 x 16.7 x 1.8 cm) and spiral bound for use at the 'scope. Shows some 1,500 DSOs, inc 675 galaxies down to mag 11.5 as well as 30,000+ stars down to magnitude 7.6.

The more expensive atlases will show more DSOs, according to this web-site :-

- Sky Atlas 2000.0 = 81,312 stars to 8.5 mag & 2,700 DSOs

- Millennium Star Atlas = 1,058,332 stars to 11.0 mag & 10,725 DSOs

- Uranometria 2000.0, Vols One, Two and Three = 280,035 stars to 9.75 mag & 30,000+ DSOs

Then there's this :- The Great Atlas of the Sky = 2,430,768 stars to 12 mag & 70,000+ DSOs !

Maybe these AstroCards are more what you're after? Or the SkySpot finder charts?

Or possibly the Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky Objects? From it's Amazon page :-

• Information and descriptions for more than 2000 galaxies, nebulae and star clusters

• Suitable for use with small telescopes

• Helpful charts and advice on how to observe

• Comprehensive catalogue included

• For most objects descriptions are given for a range of telescope apertures.

Other than that, there are loads of deep sky guides :-

Deep Sky Objects: The Best and Brightest From Four Decades of Comet Chasing

The Deep-Sky Companions series - The Messier Objects, The Caldwell Objects and Hidden Treasures

Steve O'Meara's Herschel 400 Observing Guide

Cosmic Challenge: The Ultimate Observing List for Amateurs

Google will help you find loads of sites about DSOs. Some will have downloadable maps, finder charts, even atlases and guides.

HTH :)

I don't know if you have an I pod touch or access to one but there are some brilliant astro apps out there for it.

I have one on mine and with it you just point the on the screen compass to north and it will tell you where everything is.

isn't technolagy wonderful. (shame my spelling isn't)

I actually think both would be good - think of the the Collins Gem as the tourist guide of what objects to look for and the Pocket Atlas as your larger scale map to help find those objects (Pocket Atls is purely a map).

Helen

The Collins Gem fits in my binocular case (along with the binoculars) and I found it great when I was starting out on the Messiers. Slightly larger but still pocket size, and with far more detailed maps, is the Petersen Guide, which I take with me whenever I go travelling.

Peterson Field Guide to the Stars and Planets

I have two copies: I cut out all the general info from one of them, leaving only the star atlas, and I've been using it for years.

Currently my favourite atlas is the following - but it's not pocket size!

The Great Atlas of the Sky - about atlas

Archived