Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy and Amateur Radio

centroid

I've noticed on other astro forums I frequent, that quite a few amateur astronomers are also Radio Amateurs.

Although, apart from Radio Astronomy, the two hobbies are are quite different, except perhaps for a joint interest in the 11 year Sun Spot Cycle and Auroras, it seems quite common for people to follow both hobbies. This is particularly so in the US.

It was seeing that one member of the forum, uses his Amateur Radio callsign, as his 'user name', that prompted this 'post'.

For my part I have been a Class A Radio Amateur since 1968, and hold a call sign in the G3*** series, and seriously into amateur astronomy since 2001.

In anyone is wondering why I haven't given my full Amateur callsign, it is because it is listed in the Amateur Radio call-book (Directory), along with my address. Not a good idea of course, to publish this on the www.

Dave

Dave

Been a radio ham for a good few years but lost interest a bit

when most folk started using bought kit rather than using homebrew stuff.

Left me with not a lot to talk about.

It tied in with my job as well (TV service engineer).

Rather getting twitchy about building a receiver setup for Jupiter though 8)

73's de G4J**

Yep, my activity hovers around pretty near to zero.

As you say, its all 'off the shelf' and the vast majority are purely 'black box' operators now.

I think the 'down turn' came with the introduction of 2m Repeaters, CB, and the 'final' straw' being the abolition of the Morse Test.

Oh, and of course the internet.

'Busmans Holiday' for me too, RF and Consultant EMC Engineer, now retired.

Dave

I've been suprised at the number of astronomers who are Boat Owners, apart from an innate interest in astronomy, I wonder if its a spin off from Navigation? might be interesting to know what other 'Money swallowing' hobbies folk have

Cheers Frank

Archived