Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vibrations from RA Motor

A320Flyer

Guys,

I tried last night to image Saturn via EP Projection. I could not get focussed properly when the motor drives were running as there was too much vibration coming from the RA Motor. If I switched off the drives, Saturn focussed quite easily, but shot off the screen in about 10 secs.

Any ideas how to resolve this. Everything is tight, ie clutches etc. but have I over-tightened perhaps?

Any help much appreciated.

Bill

Make sure the balance it a tiny bit off so that the motors are trying to lift slightly. Having the balance the other way so the motors are lowering can cause jerky movement.

It could be that the mount just isn't up to the level of magnification you are going for. I used to have an f8 6" refractor on a CG5 that even for visual showed the motor vibration at higher magnification.

Edit: looking at your sig a 6" reflector on an EQ3 is, I believe, beyond its limit for imaging tracking at high magnification.

Hi Bill, I've been troubled with a similar situation on my NEQ6 Pro mount ever since I put a C11 (plus all the other bits and bobs) on it. After some investigative work, I've obtained a better specified RA motor but won't be able to run any tests until I return from abroad at the end of June. As suggested by your other correspondents, it appears to be better for the motor to push the load rather than act as a brake - so the 'east' side of the mount could be slightly heavier. We assume the gear train was designed to run from east to west so once all the slack has been taken up between the pinions and worm shaft it should 'grind' on quite smoothly. Anyway, that's the theory ....

I'll post my results when I get back.

Bud

Archived