Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 + Supernova!

Peter Reader

Hi all,

Very exciting night imaging due to the fact that not only was this the first time I've managed to find M51, but also because there is a supernova in this region that I believe I have captured! :)

M51June32011.jpg

This is only 30 minutes in 1 minute subs. No darks. I plan to add to this tonight if possible.

Does anyone know how to stop getting the purple patches in the top corners (this happens whenever I use my Nikon D80...)

Thanks

Pete:)

The key to this is most probably taking DARKS as this looks like amplifier noise to me.

A great PhotoShop Plug-in called Gradient Xterminator hasn't done to shabby a job on it either although further processing would be required to remove it altogether.

I'd start with the DARKS first.

post-13675-133877612939_thumb.jpg

Yeah I've yet to delve into the world of dark frames. Is it literally just as simple as putting the dust cover over the front of the scope and taking the same exposure at the same temperature? That Gradient XTerminator has worked well. I will look into getting this.

Thanks for the help guys!

Archived