Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NLC's from Kelso

Here's an image taken at 2.53am this morning my first positive sighting of NLC's from Kelso. Though mostly faint there was some quite nice ripple structure to be seen but quickly drowned out by encroaching dawn light. Display extended from NW to NE and max horizon alt. approx. 40'.

Pentax K5 DSLR

18-135mm lens f3.5 @18mm

Exp. 1sec

ASA 200

I've had my eye out for these recently too... but none have shown down here yet... Although fairly faint, they are indeed there, although it's also incredible to see photographic evidence of the light you have at 02:53am - I was still taking 7 min exposures at that time in Bath!

Beautifully exposed though - I wish I had a view like that nearby (although not at 02:53am at any time of the year - You have my sympathies, but as you have a far greater chance of seeing Northern lights, then I guess that might be some consolation?

Great shot - glad someone manage to get a photo.

I was woken up before sunrise here in the W Mids by a teething baby (thankfully a bit later than sunrise in Kelso!) and saw an impressive display of bright NLCs. A combination of lack of interest from the 8 month old and brain not functioning meant I could get a snap of it!

Let's hope for more, preferably at the sunset end of the night though!

Thanks Dave

Some nice NLC images coming through on Spaceweather just now too.

The teething baby stage I understand is the easy bit... still got the teen tantrums to look forward to! :)

Mike

... still got the teen tantrums to look forward to! :)
I have one of those... Enjoy them whilst they're young is my advice..! They also get more expensive as they get older, so buy the 106FSQ, observatory and Atik 11000 now before you can't afford to (not that many of could afford to in the first place! :))

Archived