Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moving from the UK to Australia

Nightjar

I'm off to Perth at the end of June, for two or three years. We will be only 5 km from the city centre so light pollution will still be a problem, but at least there are clear views of the sky from the garden.

The packers will construct packing crates for my kit and arrange shipping which will take about 8 weeks.

So, imagine setting up on a patio under the Southern skies in July. It's winter and the temperature's 10 degrees. You've aligned the scope somehow without being able to see Polaris, and told it your new location. Now you're at the point of choosing an object to view before pressing 'Goto'.

You put your eye to the eyepiece - what would you want to see first ?

What I'd want to see or what I actually would see?

I'm guessing dirt / sand, a real close up of a petunia or other local flora, more dirt / sand, the spreading pool of beer from the bottle I knocked over jumping out of the way of the flailing scope driven by a demented goto, my wife's face creased up laughing hysterically and finally some clouds rolling in, gently illuminated by the rising sun.

Night two would start with unwrapping a new alt-az freshly delivered by FLO's antipodean cousins.

Hope you really enjoy Oz, btw!

Archived