Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SynScan upgrade problem.

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my Synscan handset from version 3.25 to version 3.27 via a USB to RS232 adaptor cable, and when I try to do the upgrade I get this message: READ BEYOND THE END OF FILE. I have checked all the connections are tight and I have also done a reboot and still no success.

What has happened with my handset is that it has got struck on the rate mode to 2 x siderial, and obviously this is of no use when trying to center an object in the finderscope during the star align mode, for setting up rhe goto facility.

Can anybody help me with this problem ?

thanks, Patrick :D

Hi Capricorn,

I am trying to upgrade the handset for the NEQ6 mount. I am following the instructions in the manual that came with the mount. If I am reading it right you don't need to involve the mount in the upgrade, just the handset.

"READ BEYOND THE END OF FILE"

Hi Patrick - This usually indicates a corrupt file. The corruption is usually a missing "end of file" marker so the loader software doesn't know where to stop reading it.

Main cause is that the file hasn't been transferred in it's entirety. I'm sure your equipment is all ok and well connected. Perhaps the download didn't complete properly? Try downloading it again and pay close attention to what happens. I usually save the download before installing the loader and running the upgrade. There may have been a glitch anywhere on the internet or a modem problem half way through the download.

Hope that helps. :D

Hi Brantuk,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your suggestion and downloaded the files again after deleting the original files, but still no luck, same message keeps appearing.

Anybody elese out there know how to sort this out.

Help Help :)

Hi Patrick,

I thought I would add my comments after seeing you today with the hand controller. For other readers, I have just plugged Patrick's NEQ6 SynScan controller into my PC and performed a firmware upgrade - successfully!

My guess is that it is either the file you downloaded (i.e. an incomplete or corrupt download), or possibly a comms error - something perhaps to do with using a USB to serial port dongle rather than a hardware serial port?

The other reason for this post is that I recently saw another chap with a similar 'rate' issue with the hand controller. The instructions state that you 'press the rate button until it displays the rate you wish to select' - with 'rate' being the '2' button, though, this only selects 2x sidereal - because you ACTUALLY select the rate by:

- pressing 'RATE' (button 2)

- pressing any of the number buttons (1-9) to select the desired rate, then

- pressing 'ENTER'

Clearly Sky-Watcher haven't updated the NEQ6 manual to reflect the current firmware version :(

Hope that answers the issues for anyone having this similar issue in the future. :)

Archived