Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 6SE...dumb question

I am expecting this telescope to be able to track the motion of a star after I have it properly setup.

Basically plug it in, get it setup, and then once it is on a star, it should track it across the night sky for as long as I please...is that what it does?

Reason I am asking the dumb question is I have heard about a "wedge" that is used for the motion of the earth, or something like that...so I don't want to buy the unit and be disappointed...

Thanks!

Yes you are right, it will track a star when set up. It uses up/down and right/left motors. A wedge can be used to set it up so only one motor needs to be used (right/left becomes 'RA'). This helps with long exposure photography, as the two motor option produces what is called 'field rotation' - everything seems to rotate around the middle of the photo. For visual, or short-exposure photography, don't worry about a wedge - it creates a lot more hassle for no real gain.

Certainly not a 'dumb' question - "the only stupid question is the one not asked".

HTH

Basically plug it in, get it setup, and then once it is on a star, it should track it across the night sky for as long as I please.

Yes that is the idea but the "get it set up" bit is not a case of place on ground and everything will appear in the field of view. Whether the alignment stars or the ones to view.

Read the manual, read it again, stand the scope in front of you indoors, read the manual again, then practise with the thing indoors while reading the manual.

May need some idea of what stars are where during daytime - planisphere will help.

Don't use batteries, they don't last long and rechargeables do not supply the voltage required. They are 20% too low.

Have all the required information available, you tell it EVERYTHING!! Also you tell it everything both accurately and correctly. Expect much screaming and wailing, welcome to the world of goto. However once you master the setup you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Archived