Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy for Mac advice needed.

I need some Mac Astronomy Software.

I tried to download the demo version of Voyager 4.5.7 but after I had downloaded the file and tried to Run the program, I got a message saying the trial had expired in 2009,..yea,..go figure, what's all that about! I emailed Carina two days ago about this and had no reply. I am therefore thinking of purchasing Starry Night Pro which I can download straight away. Can anybody inform me, in their view, which is considered the better of the two? I downloaded Equinox Pro last night which is on trial for 30 days. It seems quite a powerful app actually but a bit lack lustre in terms of graphics if you know what I mean. I already have the free Stellarium for Mac which is nice but limited.

Thanks.

Hi Stringbean,

Personally I find Voyager to be far superior to StarryNight but that is a subjective opinion. I also rate Equinox highly despite the rudimentary graphics (Stellarium for example is much prettier).

There's no need to faff around with Windows on your Mac as there's plenty of software to go around, for example as well as the ones you've already mentioned; StarryNight, Equinox and Stellarium there's also TheSkyX, Cartes Du Ciel and the likes of Astroplanner and no doubt a few that I've forgotten...

James

We have a Mac Astronomy group - Stargazers Lounge - Mac Astronomy - where you will find useful discussions and tips.

I am very happy with Equinox Pro (6) and use it to control my scope and webcam. I also have Starry Night, and have had for many years. It has some good features but it is overpriced IMHO, compared to other offerings.

I suppose my question is, what software do you exactly want and what do you want to use it for?

For a planetarium I find stellarium is perfect. I can also use it to control my mount. However if you want something to control your mount and do 'other' stuff then you might be better off considering some of the alternatives mentioned above.

HTH..

Archived