Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Laser Colli MK3

I have just aquired the above laser collimator from another member on here (thanks Gaz) and just wanted to post a few thoughts about it. I have up until now relied on my Cheshire and colli cap for alignment of the mirrors. All i can say is, '' what a fantastic piece of kit'' I collimated the dob last night as usual with the colli cap and Cheshire and then popped in the laser for a second opinion. I was surprised to see that the beam was completely missing the center doughnut by about 10mm. I had to slightly tweak the secondary to correct it and then the primary to send the beam back on itself and center nicely in the target window. I then rechecked with the Cheshire and to my eye it looked the same as before i had tweaked the adjusters. I had never used a laser before and it took me less than 5 minutes from start to finish. Great devise.

I am sure it's fine but do check that the laser is itself collimated / aligned.

It's the next thing on my to do list Shane. Apparently the Baader unit has to go back to themselves for collimation if it is found to be out of whack. Here's hoping its 100%.

I have been reading up on the Barlowed laser method. It does seem a very precise way to collimate the primary. Just need to watch out for a cheap barlow in the sale section. I sold my ultima a few months back when i bought the orthos. I forgot to say in the original post that i use an Antares self centering adapter instead of the original set screw adapter. Using it and the laser combined essentially is the same as using a Hotech laser at twice the price.

Archived