Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

pier mount help

nightfisher

hi all, im a long way of this as yet, but gonna be getting ideas for a pier with or without an obsy!

so can a pier be metal tube, say 100mm diameter with at least 5mm wall or is plasric tube filled with cement a better idea

A pier can be anything that provides a solid support, be that a plastic, metal or even cardboard tube filled with concrete or a fabricated design from steel tube or box section bolted to a concrete block sunk in the ground. - Each have their merits - there is no "best way"

The rule of thumb (which I try and use) is to make sure you dont load your mount more than about 2/3rds of its capacity. The EQ5 has a capacity of 9kg so you shouldnt load more than about 6kg on it. The 150mm Evostar weighs about 5kg should I reckon you might be ok especially for visual work and lunar imaging with a webcam.

It does beg the question, though, do you need a pier for observing? My impressions are that piers are ideally for serious imagers. That isnt to say observers cant use piers, it just seems a bit overkill to m and an expense that can probably be done with out at present?

Just my 2p worth.... :D

yeah, fair comment. I must admit it annoys the hell out of me that I have to stripe everything down and move it outside and back etc for a session. Wastes at least an hour which could be better used.....

mmmm, that could be suitable. If you could cut in half and weld, maybe back to back like this ][ you would end up with a sturdy pier and some space to run cables. The only thing is that it would be above 3.5ft long which may or may not be high enough?

Archived