Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Earthwin Power/Filter switch

Hi folks,

I have just taken delivery of an Earthwin PFS-DSE (Power Filter Switch - Diagonal Single Eyepiece.)

This gadget is basically a diagonal with an extra piece fitted to it.

(I have attached some photos to help me explain.)

Integrated into the system is a barlow and a reducer. These can by slid into place instantly just by moving a thumb tab to the centre of the unit thus introducing them into the light path. Basically this gives me three different powers with just one eyepiece without physically having to remove the eyepiece, add the barlow then refit the eyepiece again. Same for the reducer. It is much easier to change magnifications without having to take my eye from the eyepiece. A certain amount of refocusing needs to be done after each power switch, but this is easy enough as I doubt I'll be jumping from normal to reduced to barlowed modes every few seconds.

Also fitted to the unit are a pair of 2" filter holders. (1.25" adapters are available if you use that size filters.)

I fitted my LPR and O111 and again just by sliding the thumb tab I can introduce my filters instantly wthout having to fumble in the dark.

As I use a CPC1100 which is an SCT, this has enough focus travel for the PFS-DSE to be used with a binoviewer.

Thanks to the clouds I have only had the chance to try it during the day at various terrestrial objects, but it seems to work very well.

I dealt directly with Bill Dankmeyer by e-mail who is the owner of Earthwin. He was very helpful and answered my *many* questions quickly, patiently and politely. He is very enthusiastic about his products and is only to happy to help and advise.

It took around two weeks from ordering to delivery, which I think very good considering it had to go though customs etc.

Anyway, here are the pics as promised.

I hope you find this interesting.

post-13939-133877609309_thumb.jpg

post-13939-133877609317_thumb.jpg

post-13939-133877609325_thumb.jpg

post-13939-133877609333_thumb.jpg

post-13939-13387760934_thumb.jpg

post-13939-133877609348_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Last Friday I had the chance to use to Power/Filter switch for the first time and found it to be brilliant.

Firstly I pointed the scope at Saturn and popped in my 20mm Swan to give me 140x in 'normal' view. I then slid the thumb tab containing the Barlow into place, refocused and had instantly had a lovely 196x mag. (The Barlow in the Power switch gives me 1.4x in my SCT.) Wanting to play around a bit I then slid the barlow out of the way and moved the reducer into the light path. This also worked very well giving a nice wide field view. (I'm not to sure how to work the reduction out, but apparently this gives a .78x reduction.)

Other objects were m13, m3, m81, m82 and m97. I was really just enjoying playing around switching between filters and power levels.

I tried various eyepieces both singularly and in my binoviewer and am very pleased with the results. Being able to move between three different power levels and two filters just by sliding a thumb tab is so easy and like a dream come true!

Cheers,

John

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi JohnBoy

Thanks for posting this review, I have been considering a Powerswitch for my CPC 925 and Maxbright Binoviewer set up. I didn't realise that the PFS-DSE could also be used with Binos. Do you just use the regular 1.25 WO nosepiece into the Earthwin? And how far are you from the end of the focuser travel with this set up?

I've read about the difference in focus travel between the 8 and 925 and the 11' SCTs and this is potentially a problem with the increased light path of the Binos.

Can I also ask how much they were in total inc shipping and taxes etc from the US?

Regards

Hi Space Dragon,

I found the PFS-DSE works brilliantly with my binoviewer in normal and barlowed modes, however I couldn't reach focus in reduced mode. (It was close - I only needed about an extra half turn of the focus knob to get there.) I noticed the 1.25"/2" adapter that came with the unit stood about 2mm above the drawtube when fitted, so I bought a cheap low profile adapter which I use instead. (This essentially 'lost' the 2mm length and allowed my binoviewer to sit that little bit further down). This did the trick but it is obviously a very close thing. The PFS-DSE comes with an extension tube which allows for greater barlow and reduction in single eyepiece mode.

If you have a question regarding the PFS-DSE, Bill Dankmeyer, who owns Earthwin is a very helpful and patient man and I'm sure he will answer your concerns if you drop him an e-mail.

(I sent plenty! :smiley: )

I paid $563.00 for the visual back, PFS-DSE and shipping to the U.K. (This was over twelve months ago so prices may have changed.) I'm sorry I can't remember the amount I paid in customs, taxes etc.

Hope this helps.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Archived