Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 Dumbbell Nebula (more data)

carastro

Thought I'd better put this in a new thread.

Further to my 3 x 3 1/2 mins subs on Saturday, I managed to get a further 50 minutes on M27 @ 5min subs.

this is the previous thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/143147-m27-dumbbell-nebula.html

Therefore:

3 x 3.5mins @ 800 ISO

10 x 5mins @ 800 ISO + relevant darks flats and bias for each

Skywatcher ED120 Pro, guided with QHY5 and PHD on EQ6

Modified Canon EOS 450D + CLS clip filter

Processed in DSS and PS CS3

post-18809-133877608932_thumb.jpg

Olly & Carole, could it be to do with Carole's location? Like me, she's under light-polluted skies (or at least, I assume she must be based on where she is). M27 being a spring/summer object, the warmer air might have more stirred-up dust in it, etc, reflecting the LP, but M45, being more of a winter object, would have been imaged under cooler, cleaner skies.

Or am I talking out of the wrong end of my body?

It's slightly less green Fatwoul.

Yes I do have bad light pollution here, suburbs of London. I can only see polaris in Ursa Minor and only the belt and 1 star of the sword within the 4 main stars of Orion with the naked eye. Recently the transparency has been really murky.

I have to get to Astro camps and darker skies to get some objects, i.e I have found doing galaxies here a bit of a waste of time.

Carole

It's slightly less green Fatwoul.

Yes I do have bad light pollution here, suburbs of London. I can only see polaris in Ursa Minor and only the belt and 1 star of the sword within the 4 main stars of Orion with the naked eye. Recently the transparency has been really murky.

I have to get to Astro camps and darker skies to get some objects, i.e I have found doing galaxies here a bit of a waste of time.

Carole

I've actually been really surprised at the amount of stuff I've been able to image from my location so far. I don't think I'm much better off than you, Carole. I'd certainly struggle to make out the rest of Ursa Minor, and perhaps can make out a little more of Orion, but only on a good night. What you have in murk, I have in damp; a valley in the westcountry isn't exactly the Atacama Desert in terms of dryness. :D

That's part of what I love about the POD, and the ability to now image night after night in a reliable, repeatable fashion.

Archived