NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 5746 - edge-on galaxy in Virgo

lukebl

Hi all,

I thought I would post this image of this lovely galaxy in Virgo, imaged last night with my humble Starlight Xpress MX716 camera with its tiny 752 x 580 pixels. It's a small chip, but I've found it's useful for capturing small DSOs with the relatively long focal length of my 10" Newt. I have been playing around with this CCD for a while and this is my first serious effort at RGB with it. I stumbled across this galaxy whilst galaxy-hopping with Carte du Ciel, taking quick unguided 30-sec exposures, looking out for supernovae and galaxies which might be worth a bit more effort. This one really struck me as a gorgeous example of an edge-on galaxy, I think rivalling NGC 4565 and 891, although obviously much smaller, and there seem to have been very few images of it posted.

I know its not as good as a bigger CCD, but I'm really pleased with the detail that this little chip has managed to pull out in the dust lanes. Still coming to grips with RGB imaging, so the colour may be rather off.

5 min subs. c200 mins L, 35 mins each RGB.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-dsos-picture11468-ngc5746colour-copy2.jpg

That shows lots of detail, thought it was 4565 for a brief moment. The chip should fit the object and big chips are for nebula and smaller ones for galaxies and pn's. This is a quality result, perhaps brighten the extensions a bit more but core dust and dust lane is just lovely.

John.

Archived