NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Placement of Baader Continuum filter

A McEwan

Hi,

I enjoy using the Baader Solar Continuul filters when viewing the Sun in white light. I have a 1.25" one for 1.25" eyepieces and a 2" for my 9mm 100-degree 2" eyepiece. Now as my Herschel Wedge has a 2.2 - 1.25" adapter with the ND 3.0 filter installed, could I add the 2" solar continuum filter to the adapter instead of adding it to my eyepiece when changing them over? That would mean the SC filter is permnanently in place and I don't have to faff with changing 1.25" and 2" filters between eyepieces. Or is there an issue with the placment of these filters relative to the eyepiece position?

Ant

how well does the solar continuum filter work? Ive been using a 58 green filter with my baadar astrosolar film as i read a while ago it does a similar thing to the solar continuum filter. i can just make out a bit of granulation with the green but not much more than with out filter. Another thing ive noticed is viewing the sun with a 82a light blue makes it much easier to focus and i find the image much clearer and i reckon i see as much granulation as i do with the green filter. Has anyone else noticed this?

A couple of thoughts.

Depending on the sensitivity of your eyes ("normal" ie the majority are most sensitive around the green) you may be getting better results towards the blue.

Focusing in the blue is more critical (due to the shorter wavelengths) so if you are finding it easier to focus that's good news.

I found with the various filters I tried the light green/ Continuum performed best.

( depth of focus = 4 x wavelength x focal ratio^2 ie for green (550nm) and a f5 system its only 55 microns! - about 2/3 width of a human hair)

I spent a good clear afternoon comparing the Solar Continuum to my #58 green colour filter in the 90mm Triplet with Solar Wedge. The Baader filter was easily more rewarding with a better level of contrast and details resolved more cleanly. The green filter was an improvement over the pure white view, but the Baader even more so. It is not just an overhyped coloured filter - it does indeed do something special to the view! :)

Ant

Archived