Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Picking a DSLR!

benjy85pb

Hey fellow humans,

Right I've got it into my head that I want a DSLR now. Apart from some of the images that people have produced by them, I've also seen what they can do in person and in general use, and needless to say I'm sold on them and really want one.

I've been looking around online for a while now doing some research into them because although I'd like to take basic astro images with them, i.e. nothing dramatic like long exposures etc, I also want to use it in every day photography. Basically it's going to replace my small digital camera.

So far from reading online and doing some research and also picking a budget to work to of around £400 give or take, I've become interested in 3 cameras. So far the Canon 1000D, 1100D and Nikon D3100 interest me.

Now what I'm asking from you lot that have experience with DSLR's what are the pro's and con's of each? They all seem similar in capability, but your thought's and opinions and insight will be helpful. :)

Generally for Astro work the Canon range is favoured, if only for the fact that they come bundled with some decent camera control software. The 1000D is now out of production and difficult to get hold of (except at silly prices!). The 1100D body only is available at £357 and £417 with an 18-55mm lens from Amazon. (Try Camera Price Buster - UKs cheapest camera gear to see what things cost).

ISME/Very have the 1000, either body only or packaged with an 18-55 lens.

Bit more expensive, but you have the option of 1 year's 'interest free' credit.

Picked up one myself recently as our 300 died and we have grown accustomed to a DSLR. Lovely camera and nice and light.

Generally for Astro work the Canon range is favoured, if only for the fact that they come bundled with some decent camera control software. The 1000D is now out of production and difficult to get hold of (except at silly prices!). The 1100D body only is available at £357 and £417 with an 18-55mm lens from Amazon. (Try Camera Price Buster - UKs cheapest camera gear to see what things cost).

Thanks for the link. Took a long look as the 1100D seeing as it's the newest of what I'm looking at and I see what you mean about the 1000D going for silly prices! I've seen at almost the same price as the 1100D!

For pro's and cons of the Canon range see here:

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

If you can get hold of a 1000D then that gets my vote :)

Had a read through that article but that sort of 'advanced' imagining and techniques is not what I'll be doing. I'll basically be doing over-glorified afocal work with it as I'll be using it to replace my compact digital. But thanks for the link though.

icon1.gifCanon EOS 1000D for only £252.84 with 18-55mm Kit @ tesco.com/direct....................kev

Unsurprisingly, as someone mentioned that the 1000D has been discontinued tesco's actually don't sell them anymore. It may have been worth checking instead of posting that.

But anyway, thanks guys for your help. After trawling through the internet for hours today, reading reviews watching youtube etc I took a leap and ordered the 1100D. Hopefully get it next week. :p

Archived