Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hydrogen Alpha imaging - Best targets?

swag72

I'm sorry if this has already been covered - I think I have seen it somewhere before - but I can't find it.

I have a Ha filter now for my DSLR and am in the process of drawing up my imaging list for the next couple of months or so. My question is what is Ha best used for? Obviously it looks good with nebula, but would, say galaxies, benefit from it? Or are there some things that it is just a waste of time using Ha for?

Ha picks up ionized hydrogen, by definition. Here is an extreme example of 'with and without' Ha;

1182344610_T6hNK-L.jpg

Wherever stars are being formed, whether within the Milky Way or in remote galaxies, Ha will have something to say. The effect is most dramatic in Milky Way nebulae because they are nearer and bigger on the sky. Pelican, N America, Heart and Soul, NGC1396, Eagle, Swan, Lagoon, Trifid, Cone, Rosette

When adding Ha to galaxies I find you neeed a lot to make itself properly seen above the basic red level, though M33 sings loudly in Ha quite quickly.

Olly

Archived