NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some help Needed

Hi all

I am looking to get a telescope just for observing for the time being. Space is a bit of a premium where I am so if I get the scope I cannot get another tripod. I currently have a Giottos Vitruvian tripod that has a max weight allowance of 5kg.

I want an Equinox 100ED or a Skymax 127. Obviously both are good for planetary (which I would like them for) but the Equinox offers DSO views too. That is the problem. The Equinox is something like 5kg (possibly slightly more - 5.5kg?). I would probably fit a different Alt - az head on my tripod to make it a little more robust.

Would my tripod (with adapters for attachment) be ok with this telescope?

Once I more out of London I would inted on buying an EQ mount.

All help greatly recieved.

I'd avoid long tube scopes on that tripod. Short tubes are OK (like the Skymax 127). I use a Celestron C5 SCT on a Horizon 8115 tripod and it works OK up to around 150x.

Would it just be wobbly or do you think it is definitely a no no? I really like the equinox and have heard so many good things about it. That's not to say the 127 mak isn't good, I just like the Equinox more.

If it's just for visual and grab and go, what about something like a Megrez 72? These are often put on photo Tripods and punch above their weight. Albeit at the end of the day, there is only so much a 72mm scope can deliver.

I see where you are coming from. But, funds are and will be limited so I can only get one scope. My order of priority is planets then DSO. So i'm back to the same predicament!

Just need to know whether the weight limits of a tripod are true weight limits or whether a couple of hundred grammes over is going to be ok?

The problem with the weight limit on a tripod, is that they generally assume a very compact mass, like a big DSLR camera.

A longer telescope tube is nothing like that! First, much of the weight is at the ends of the tube, and this is true of both reflector and refractor designs. Second, the moment arm of a long tube is problematic - that is, the difficulty of holding a long object perfectly stable out to the very end - especially on a very small point of attachment like on a camera tripod - means you cannot even approach the weight limit with a longer tube.

I have a long (f/12) refractor, and I had to go with a tripod/Mount with more than double the capacity compared to my scope before it was stable. (22kg scope had to be mounted on something with a 50+ kg capacity before it was stable!)

Keep in mind that you have to keep the entire length of the scope pointed very precisely, and you will see what I mean.

Dan

Now you put it like that I can see what you mean.

With that information I think I will put on hold the scope acquisition and stick with photography for now. Just don't have the space for another tripod/mount.

Thanks for the help all.

By the way, the mak 127 will show many DSOs very well and with its greater aperture will probably give better views of many star clusters than the 100mm refractor.

By the way, the mak 127 will show many DSOs very well and with its greater aperture will probably give better views of many star clusters than the 100mm refractor.

Even though it has the central obstruction? I thought they were kind of equal in aperture? Oh well. Will keep thinking.

The central obstruction only cuts about 10% of the light by blocking the light path. Far more light is lost by the reflective surfaces - each surface only reflects about 90% if incident light (depends on the coatings on the mirrors). Even taking all these effects into account, the mak still gathers slightly more light than the smaller refractor.

Archived