Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fixing backlash on an EQ3-2 Mount

John

I have quite a degree of backlash in the RA axis on my EQ3-2 mount. I imagine a little is normal but this seems too much to me. Can any one point me in the direction of guidance on adjustments to the mount that might improve this or give me some suggestions themselves ?. I'd like to improve it before I fit the dual motor drives. The DEC axis seems fine.

The EQ5 mount has the "Astronomy Boy" web site which gives comprehensive info on fixes etc - does the EQ3-2 have something similar ?.

Thanks,

John

I did a strip down, tighten and re-grease with my EQ3-2 made a tremendous difference....Sweet as a nut now.

It's a fairly simple job..Honest..Just remember the good old Haynes car manuals.....

"Refitting is reversal of removal..."

John,

I don't know about the EQ3 but normally there is a housing that supports the worm. This is often adjustable with a couple of screws to tighten and slacken. The more the worm is pushed into the gear the less the backlash but the greater the risk of binding. The idea is to tighten very gradually using the slow mo to assess the backlash and ease of movement. You should tighten up until the backlash seems to have disappeared and no more. In reality a little backlash is usually necessary for free movement.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions folks - I'll check those 2 bolts Phattire. I used to own a Vixen SP Martin - great mounts but at the moment I'm making the best of the EQ3-2 which, as it turns out, is not a bad mount and very portable compared with the HEQ5 and even the EQ5. Fine for visual use at any rate.

John.

Archived