looking for first telescope

hi I'm looking for my first telescope and got the chance to buy a short tube newtonion reflector [150mm] comes with PL 25mm eyepiece, 1.5 erecting eyepiece 2x barlow lens and moon lens, can anybody tell me what kind of viewing that will give me and is it a good telescope. Thanks robbie c

Hi,

We really need to know what brand / model it is and some info about the scope and it's specification. There are good ones (eg: Celestron and Skywatcher) and not so good ones (eg: Seben).

it's difficult to say if it's a good scope as it doesn't have a name, but generally short tube newtonians are not such good quality. they usually have spherical mirrors and a barlow in the focusser to make up the focal length. understand I am talking in general terms not specifics. 150mm is acceptable apparture and will show you plenty especially under dark skies. Let us know the brand and cost and we'll let you know if it's a good deal or not. I forgot to say most short tube newtonions are a pig to collimate.

Hi Robbie, I've got a skywatcher 150pl and I've found it easy to use as a first scope,and its easy to collimate. I can see planets, nebulae and dso's with it. It came with tripod and mount and ep's and only cost £239 delivered. They are very good quality for the money and I would recommend it to anyone as a first scope, and a low budget.

hi Adamski thanks for the reply I'v seen a Skywatcher Explorer 150p EQ3-2 [if that makes any sense] on ebay nearly new what do you think, as i'm on a tight budget I'm looking around, robbie c

Those sell for £280 brand new in the black livery on FLO:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

You may be looking at the older blue livery model which used to be around £230 new. If it has motors this will increase the second hand value. But the scope/mount as it stands in excellent condition (no major scratches or flaws and mirrors in good condition) usually sell s/h for around 65%-80% of new cost around a year old.

It's a good scope - I started astronomy with exactly that scope (in blue livery). Very capable of most of the popular objects - nice aperture size for a starter - will benefit hugely from upgrade to supplied eye pieces ;)

(Check the focuser is firm but smooth to operate and well centered)

Archived