Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SPC900nc with Filter

DarkSky71

When i got my SPC900nc recently it came with a screw in IR filter. When or on what would i benefit from using this filter as havent used it yet. Is it for planets, lunar or solar in conjunction with a Baader Lens Filter from Astrozap for e.g.

Hi matey

I’m about to buy one of these kits as well.

I think the camera CCD is very sensitive to light in the IR/UV range so I believe its necessary to cut down those wavelengths whether imaging planets or anything else.

I haven’t tried yet but without the filter I imagine you would end up with images of poor quality or contrast, im sure others will have a more detailed understanding of what goes on.

Thanks

Dan

I've also just got the SPC900, with the same filter. Firstly, always leave the filter screwed onto the webcam. It prevents dust falling onto the CCD chip in the webcam, which would ruin your webcam.

Apparently it blocks out a form of IR/UV light, and leads to sharper images. I'm not really sure on the ins and outs of it, but I'd always leave it on.

Clear Skies

Hi just out of intrest i have been imaging saturn with the spc 880 from morgans and all my images were witout the filter attached i will have to fit it next time and see if i can get any improvements

Regards

Ben

Personally I always use the IR/UV filter and as mentioned above it acts as a dust block as well.

You will have to play around with the settings in sharpcap as it can make your images more yellow, so a little tweaking with the colour and brightness setings usually gives you the more natural look.

Simon

The SPC900 and 880 come fitted with an IR/UV filter to prevent red and bloating... but when you remove the lens cell to mod for astro, you remove that filter too. The IR/UV filter you fit in the nose replaces that and stops issues caused by the IR. The sensor is sensitive to IR. As a secondary effect, it stops the dust...

Archived