Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alignment issue

Hi everyone! I've got a Celestron Nexstar 8SE scope and am delighted with it. However, if I use GoTo to look at the Plough which is pretty much overhead, i can't see anything through the eyepiece and the alignment is lost and i have to align again. Is there a trick to this or am I doing soemthing wrong? How does anyone look at overhead objects without getting into all kinds of weird positions and hurting one's back/neck/knees etc etc???

Cheers,

Katie

;)

Hi Katie,

Im not too familiar with this type of scope / mount, but it looks like if you are going to view anything overhead you will end up being pretty low down to look through the EP. Maybe some sort of gardening kneeling bench might help, like this:

http://yardandgardenrescue.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/kneeler.jpg

As for the alignment issue, Im afraid I can help here, but Im sure someone will.

Hi Katie

I have a 6SE, but I wonder if, when it goes towards the zenith, the diagonal is catching on the mount? If so, that would cause the scope to end in the wrong position and then, as it will assume it is in the right position, will now use that as a starting point for all future GOTOs and so get them wrong.

If it is only visual you are doing, you might try moving the scope slightly forward in the mount and see if the problem persists.

HTH

Thanks for that. I'll try moving my 'scope slightly forward on the mount and see if that helps. Will also look into getting a kneeling thingy to ease my aching back and knees!!

Cheers,

Katie :eek:

I have the same scope as you and don't have any problem with the GOTO in these situations. (As ever) DP has hit the nail on the head and given you the most likely solution to the problem.

As for position, I think with any scope you inevitably end up in horribly contorted poses at some point. When I am observing I usually plan in advance what I will be looking at and set my tripod height to give me maximum comfort.

If you have more problems feel free to PM me. I am very close to you geographically and would be happy to give advice.

Archived