Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another great night!!

Hi all,

Was determined to find my first galaxy last night, so set up and ready to go by 22:00. Lovely clear sky.

First stop...M81/M82. (Ursa Major)

Have had trouble finding these, but with great tips from the forum, (thanks Banner!), and by 'actually' using my finderscope to hop from Dubhe...something caught my eye! Looked through the 25mm, and sure enough, with a bit of nudging, I was able to see both galxies in the eyepiece. Very faint smudges, but definately there! Changed to 10mm EP and focussed in on M81. Still quite fuzzy..no discernible features..circular in form..but a visible bright centre. M82...definate elongated 'cigar' shape visible...again, quite fuzzy...but both objects appeared better the longer I viewed, with averted vision.:)

Next stop....M57. (Lyra)

Chose this target, as Lyra was in a lovely position to view...and felt I might need a while to find it. Again, using the finderscope, (getting better at this!!), nudged down from Sheliak....Fuzzy!! 'Very' faint/small..didn't hold much hope of getting a better view...but was quite stunned using the 10mm EP that I could definately see the circular shape, with a distinct black centre!! Eye, Eye!! Loved viewing this object. (My favourite so far....i think...)

Final stop....a bit of cluster hunting...M10/M12. (Ophiucus).

'hopping' from the 'yed' stars to the right, both clusters found! As they are quite close to each other, was unsure which 'one' I found first, so used Stellarium to identify the clusters. M12 identified first..more spread out, with visible stars within/around the edges of the cluster. M10....actually appeared a little fainter and less defined to my eye...no discerninble stars of note...identified by the single star to the side of it....quite pretty.

Early hours by this time...so time to pack up. :D

My....I can ramble!! Apologies.:eek: Just can't believe how much I can see from by own backyard!! Completely and utterly hooked!!;)

Vicky.

Excellent! im seriously considering that scope myself:) Iv heard so many good things about that scope and i believe they are back in stock soon.

having some problems deciding between the 200p and the 250p..i like the idea of the extra apeture the 250p has, but the 200p seems more versitile with its added portability and has much better photograpy potential when mounted on a EQ tripod. (well, an affordable one!)

how are you finding the standard eye peices?

Viewing was beautiful last night, atm im stuck with a jessops TA800-80 reflector lol, but even that gave nice views of the double cluster in Perseus last night showing many more stars than i was able to see before.

Glad too hear you are really enjoying your new scope:)

Hey Madhatter,

Like you, 'first scope choice' was a real dilemma! Got some great advice here on the forum and opted for the 200p as I was only interested in 'observing' at the mo..and this seemed the biggest bang for me buck. Also, ease of use for an absolute beginner...point and find..., plus had to be easy enough for me to move without the OH having to get out of bed at 2am!!

So far....I'm loving it! Moving the scope is quite easy, (up/ down, side/side...quite straight forward). finding stuff is a bit tricky...but I guess, as with all things, practice makes perfect. I've improved considerably just in a few nights use...especially using the finderscope..although looking through he thing is a bit of a pain.

Its difficult for me to comment on the eyepieces, as they're the only one's I've ever used....but to me.....I can see things through them...so they're serving their purpose for me right now!! (quite suprised actually at how much I can actually see!!)

Whichever scope you choose, I'm sure you'll love it!!

Vicky.

Excellent! im seriously considering that scope myself:) ....having some problems deciding between the 200p and the 250p:)

Whereabouts are you MH, I'm in Ringwood so I'm guessing you're not to far away if you'd like to come and have a look through a 250px you're very welcome.

I agree last night was very good, I could see M81/82 and M51 though the finderscope which I haven't been able to do before.

Rob

Sounds great vicky! im glad your getting on so will with the 200p dob, the point and look aspect of them is awesome i think and seems very novice friendly for newbies like ourselfs. It seems EPs can be incredibly exspensive and im sure the ones that come with the scope are just fine:)

Hi Rob, thank you for your very kind offer!that would be very very helpfull to me. Im in bournemouth so not to far away-sending you a PM now:)

Archived